Managing your Dental Pain and Understanding Prescriptions
Pain Management Questions?
Goodness Dental doctors may refuse or restrict prescriptions to ensure the best interests of the patient and the clinic. Patient enquiries regarding prescriptions may be sent via email to [email protected]
Pain Management Guidelines
Pain management is routinely required for some dental procedures. Goodness Dental promises to provide respectful care and appropriate management of dental pain. Most often, dental pain management is for acute or episodic situations. It requires short-term prescriptions for pain medication. For many conditions, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or a combination of the two will alleviate dental pain. Small doses of prescription medications followed by over-the-counter medications (OTCs) will provide appropriate pain relief.
- We may ask if patients are receiving medication from other doctors. We may also consult with prescription drug monitoring programs.
- We will not prescribe over the phone, especially with patients we have not met.
- Our dental team will discourage the use of non-combination opioids.
- Prolonged pain management (while awaiting specialty care) will be managed by and/or coordinated with the patient’s primary care provider.
- Our doctors will not prescribe opioids.
If you do require or currently take special medication, please bring this with you. Inform your current care provider that you will be traveling, and fill any prescriptions prior to your travel to Costa Rica. We are unable to refill prescriptions for you.